4/30/07

In Progress

Now, for everyone who doesn't know me (and for those of you who do, too), I've decided (finally) to post the progress of drawing the daily Moe strip. To start, I've got a lightbox I use so I can see my layouts with.
I've got two layouts: one for my Sunday strips (top), and one for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (bottom).
Some times I listen to music while I draw the daily strip. Here are all the materials I use...most used on the left, least used on the right (same with my colored pencils. Most used shortest, least used longest, but yellow should be before light blue, not after).
From left to right, the drawing materials are: my main pen (Precise V5 rolling ball pen); my colored pencils used to color Sunday strips, my fat marker (Sharpie permanent marker I've mentioned in many posts); a paintbrush and the stuff I use to white out mistakes (I use the end of the paintbrush. What good would the front do?); my substitute pen, my pencil I use to rough out some strips, my blue-liner pencil (in case I can't figure out how to draw a pose from scratch); and then my ruler to measure exact straight lines. (Hey, nobody is perfect!) This is the paper I use:
I used to make sure I had the right pen, but then I threw away my old one and kept my new one. Then I start drawing away! Here's one of my recent strips half-done:
So then people (including you in Arizona), there you go. That's how I draw the Moe strip.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Very interesting Riley! Nice job!

Riley said...

Yes, you see, I hired a nice photographer to take all these photos (except the last one) for me...Jeff...;-)